Department of Bioinformatics
Courses offered: M.Sc
Nature of Course: Semester Scheme.
Duration: M.Sc 4 semesters (2 Years)
Intake: M.Sc - 20+10 (Payment)
A candidate should have bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences(including Agriculture, Pharmacy and Fishery), Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Computer Applications, Bio-chemistry, Biology, BCA, Microbiology, BE/B.Tech on Biotechnology with minimum of 50% aggregate marks (40% in case of SC/ST/Cat-1 & 45% for OBC candidates) from any recognized University.
|Prof. S.B. Madagi||MSc., PhD||Bioinformatics||Professor & Chairperson|
|Dr. Babu R. Lamani||MSc., MPhil, PhD||Cancer Biology, drug discovery & molecular biology||Asst. Professor|
To empower women through the development of computational skills & analytical skills required to excel in the field of “life science"
- To arrange for the theory and practical’s in cell biology and genetic engineering.
- Facilitating to learn computer applications and statistical techniques to be able to collect Bio-Data and Analysis of the same.
- Facilitating students to Data ware house and Data Mining through internet.
- Creating assess to Bio-Data Bank like EMBL, DDBJ, NCBI, PDB etc
- To have sufficient biological knowledge to relate biological information on gene function and protein structure/function with sequence and genome information and know how to store these data in a suitable format.
- Drug designing and Docking studies
- BIF center for regular trainings and workshops (established under the assistance of DBT, Ministry of Sci/Tech govt. of India).
- Wet lab with equipments like PCR, HPLC, Electrophoresis, water Purifier, Refrigerated centrifuge Gel DOCK, Incubator, Shakers, Spectrophotometer etc.
- Digital Classroom with sound system.
- Sufficient number of Books in the library, studentship of DBT during 4th semester for completing project.
- Students are provided in-plant training in reputed industries. Students undertake research and project work which are part of the curriculum.
- Conducted National Women Science Congress 2008. There will be conferences, workshops and Trainings regarding Bioinformatics.
IT and Pharma Industries and Bio Labs
- Department is recognized as National Facility Center by DBT for training in Bioinformatics.
- 80% of the are recruited in clinical research labs, bio labs and IT industries
- 02 PhD’s are awarded in 2013-14, 02 have submitted for award in 2014-15 and 03 students are preserving PhD.