- A candidate who has obtained a Master’s Degree in the concerned or cognate subject from a recognized University/Institution securing not less than 55% marks (SC/ST/Cat I 50%)
- Such of the teachers employed in affiliated colleges before 31.03.1992 and are continuing in service on a regular basis having a minimum of 50% of marks at the Master’s Degree Course.
- Candidate who have passed GATE/JRF or belong to FIP/QIP programmes or selected to work under specialized funded programmes or who have passed M Phil
- Admission notification is published in leading News Papers, once a year preferably after the declaration of Post-Graduation results.
- A candidate has to apply in the prescribed form to the Registrar of the University.
- Candidate for the Ph.D. Programme shall work under a recognized guide
- The subject of research shall be the one which relates to the main branch of knowledge chosen for Master’s Degree. However, a candidate wishing to conduct research in a subject other than the one chosen for the Master’s Degree but which is of an interdisciplinary character is also eligible for registration.
- A candidate who is eligible shall be selected on the basis of an Entrance Test administered by the University. This shall be followed by an interview to be organized by the Department. At the time of interview doctoral candidates are expected to discuss their research areas or interests.
- The entrance test shall be of three hours duration carrying 100 marks and the syllabus shall be the one prescribed for the post-graduate course in the concerned subject of the university
- A candidate shall pass the entrance test if she scores at least 40%. In the case of SC/ST candidate the minimum marks for passing shall be 35%
- Candidates having M Phil may claim an exemption for appearing from the entrance test.
- In case of a candidate who has passed the GATE/ JRF / or belongs to FIP/QIP Programmes, such candidates will not be required to appear for the Entrance Test. Further, in the case of candidates selected to work under specialized funded projects also need not appear for the Entrance Test. However they shall be required to attend an interview before the department council to be organized by the Department. They shall be directly registered for the Ph.D. programme keeping in mind their specialization and requirement to work under the projects/ schemes, etc.
- The registration shall come into effect from the date of enrolment. Every candidate selected for Ph D programme shall pay tuition fees, examination fees, term fees and any such other fees prescribed from time to time
Every full time candidate shall work for a minimum period of three years from the date of registration. The part time candidates shall work for a minimum period of four years. However, those Ph D students who have taken admission on the basis of M Phil degree adhering to UGC regulations may claim a relaxation of one year provided the candidate continues to work on the same area chosen for M Phil.
Number of Seats:
Number of seats for admission will be as per the existing vacancy under each recognized guide. A research guide can take up to eight students of which one shall be SC/ST student Number of available seats for admission shall be notified well in advance in the University website or advertisement
After having been admitted each Ph D student shall be required to undertake course work for a minimum period of one term of sixteen week duration (minimum 90 working days). The course work shall be treated as pre-Ph D presentation and must include a course on research methodology which may include quantitative methods and computer applications. It may also involve reviewing of published research in the relevant field.
Part time Ph D:
A Department of Studies may have a part time course for Ph.D for the benefit of Teachers of Junior Colleges/ Degree Colleges of this University or any other Indian Universities, personnel working in Research Institutions/ Research Organizations/Institutes of national and international importance, personnel working as Librarians, Deputy Librarians, Assist Librarians, Library Assistants and those working in equivalent grades, personnel working as Director, Deputy Director, Assistant Director of Physical Education/Sports, coaches and those working in equivalent grades, personnel working in NGO’s, media (print and electronic), health organizations, institutes, corporate sectors, industries and those working in various Government departments and ministries.