- A candidate who has obtained a Master’s Degree in the concerned or cognate subject from a recognized University/Institution securing not less than 55% (SC/ST/Cat-I 50%) marks in the aggregate at the Master’s Degree Course
- Such of the teachers employed in affiliated colleges before 31.03.1992 and are continuing in service on a regular basis and are desirous of applying for the M Phil programme on deputation only or on FIP having a minimum of 50% of marks at the Master’s Degree Course.
- Candidates who have passed GATE/JRF or belongs to FIP/QIP programmes
- Admission notification is published in leading News Papers, once a year preferably after the declaration of Post-Graduation results.
- A candidate has to apply in the prescribed form to the Registrar of the University.
- Candidate for the M Phil course shall work under a recognized guide
- The subject of dissertation shall be the one which relates to the main branch of knowledge chosen for Master’s Degree. However, a candidate wishing to conduct research in a subject other than the one chosen for the Master’s Degree but which is of an interdisciplinary character is also eligible for registration.
Entrance Test and Registration
- An eligible candidate shall be selected on the basis of an Entrance Test administered by the University. This shall be followed by an interview to be conducted by the Department. At the time of interview M Phil candidates are expected to discuss their research areas or interests.
- The entrance test shall be of three hours duration carrying 100 marks and the syllabus shall be the one prescribed for the post-graduate course in the concerned subject. A candidate shall pass the entrance test if she scores at least 40%. In the case of SC/ST candidate the minimum marks necessary for passing shall be 35%
- In case of a candidate who has passed the GATE/ JRF / or belongs to FIP/QIP Programmes, such candidates will not be required to appear for the Entrance Test. However they shall be required to attend an interview before the department council. The candidates who have passed GATE/JRF/ or belong to FIP/QIP programme shall be admitted directly.
- The registration shall come into effect from the date of enrolment. Every candidate selected for M Phil programme shall pay tuition fees, examination fees, term fees and any such other fees prescribed from time to time
Number of Seats:
Number of seats for admission will be as per the existing vacancy under each recognized guide. A research guide can take up to five students of which one shall be SC/ST student and at least one of the candidates is a teacher employed in affiliated colleges. Number of available seats for admission shall be notified well in advance in the University website or advertisement
Duration and structure of the course
- The duration of the M Phil course is one academic year of two terms each of six months duration
- The M Phil course shall consist of two parts - Course work and Dissertation
- he candidates should complete the M Phil within a maximum period of two years from the date of admission.
After having been admitted each M Phil student shall be required to undertake course work for a minimum period of one term of sixteen week duration (minimum 90 working days). The course work shall be treated as pre-M Phil presentation and must include a course on research methodology which may include quantitative methods and computer applications. It may also involve reviewing of published research in the relevant field.